Charlie Toney and John May Victorious In PBA/PBA50 Decker Appraisal Services Bristol Baker Doubles
Bristol, Va. – First-time team of Charlie Toney of Oak Hill, W. Va., and John May of Effingham, S.C. defeated Walter Ray Williams Jr. of Oxford, Fla. and Dick Allen of Lexington, S.C., 229-200 on Sunday to claim the PBA/PBA50 Decker Appraisal Services Bristol Baker Doubles title.
Toney-May, who led the 12-game baker style qualifying and much of the finals dropped to third for the baker stepladder finals and had to win all three games to walk away with the victory.
In the opening stepladder match against the team of James Souder/Nicholas Sheets of Greeneville, Tenn., Toney/May easily won 259-206. In the second stepladder match Toney/May had another easy win defeating Eddie Graham/ Matthew Staninger of Kettering, Oh., 213-168.
In the championship match, Toney/May started off strong with a three-bagger to Williams/Allen second frame open. Then the tide changed and Toney/may had back to back split opens in the fifth and sixth frames to make it a one pin match. In the seventh frame the winners stepped up and fired off five strikes in a row to lock out the two-time back-to-back defending champs, 229-200.
The win was Toney’s first PBA50 South region title, while May has been in the winner’s circle 22 times.
The PBA South Region’s next event will be the PBA60 Wilson & Sons Pest Control Super Senior Open Nov. 14-16 at George Pappas’ Liberty Lanes in Gastonia, N.C.
PBA/PBA50 DECKER APPRAISAL SERVICES BAKER DOUBLES
Interstate Lanes, Bristol, Va., Sunday
- Charlie Toney, Oak Hill, W. Va./n-John May, Effingham, S.C., $4200.
- Walter Ray Williams Jr., Oxford, Fla./Dick Allen, Lexington, S.C., $2,200.
- Eddie Graham, Kettering, Oh.,/Matt Staninger, Concorde, Salisbury, N.C., $1800.
- James Souder, Greeneville, Tenn.,/Nicholas Sheets, Johnson City, Tenn., $1,500.
Match One – Toney/n-May def. Souder/Sheets, 259-206.
Semifinal – Toney/n-May def. Graham/Staninger, 213-168.
Championship – Toney/n-May def. Williams/Allen, 229-200.
Final Qualifying Standings (after 20 games, top 4 advanced to stepladder finals):
- Williams/Allen, 4,834.
- Graham/Staninger, 4,815.
- Toney/n-May, 4,809.
- Souder/n-Sheets, 4,769.
- Sam Ventura, Norwich, N.Y./Kyle Troup, Taylorsville, N.C., 4,763, $1,400.
- Tom Baker, King, N.C./Chris McSwain, Kings Mtn., N.C., 4,756 ,$1350.
- Troy McKinney, Yorktown, Va./Brandon Curtis, Manson, N.C., 4,701, $1,300.
- Joe Scarborough, Charlotte, N.C./Nick Christy, Newport, N.C., 4,694, $1,250.
- n-Barry Slater, Locust, N.C./Chris Arcaro, Villa Rica, N.C., 4,664, $1200.
- Brian Kretzer, Dayton, Ohio/n-Jeff Fehr, Cincinnati, Ohio, 4,642, $1,150.
- Stoney Baker, Canton, Ga./Steven Arehart, Chesapeake, Va., 4,618, $1,120.
- n-Mike Coulson/Matt Martin, Collinsville, Va., 4,562. $1,100.
300 Game (Baker Format): Toney/n-May (2), McMahan/n-Potter, Caramagno/Barry. n-denotes non-PBA member.