PBA Spare Shots: HOFer Randy Pedersen to Anchor Facebook Live Coverage of PBAL Seeding Round
by Bill Vint | Thursday, July 11, 9:24 AM
PBA Hall of Famer Randy Pedersen will anchor the Facebook LIVE coverage of the PBA League’s eight-game seeding round Monday from Bayside Bowl in Portland, Maine, before joining his FOX Sports teammates Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday evenings for the live FS1 coverage of the PBA League Elias Cup competition.
Pedersen will be joined during Monday’s eight-game Baker team qualifying round, beginning at 10:30 a.m. EDT, by PBAL team managers. The qualifying round will determine the pairings for the “race to two points” quarterfinal round matches that will air Tuesday beginning at 7 p.m. EDT on FS1. To watch the qualifying round, visit PBA’s Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ProfessionalBowlersAssociation/.
For the FS1 telecasts, Pedersen will serve as color analyst alongside announcer Dave LaMont and sideline reporter Kimberly Pressler. FS1 coverage will include four hours of live quarterfinal round coverage Tuesday, two hours of semifinal round coverage Wednesday and two hours of Elias Cup championship round coverage Thursday. Tuesday’s telecast begins at 7 p.m. EDT; the Wednesday and Thursday telecasts start at 9 p.m. EDT.
PBA REGIONAL UPDATE: EX-WICHITA STATE PLAYERS WIN GRAND CASINO DOUBLES
Former Wichita State competitors A.J. Chapman of Manchester, Iowa, and Canadian Mitch Hupe’, both currently living in Wichita, Kan., teamed up to win the PBA FireLake Grand Casino Hotel & Resort Southwest Doubles, presented byDV8, at FireLake Bowling Center in Shawnee, Okla., Sunday, defeating Texans Joe Findling from Mesquite and Shawn Maldonado of Houston, 473-414, in the title match.
For Chapman, the win was his second in PBA Regional competition, while Hupé, the 2018 PBA Southwest Region Rookie of the Year, earned his first PBA title. Each collected $2,000 for the win.
The winning team qualified second after the eight-game qualifying round, earning byes directly into the best-of-three-game semifinal round where they defeated Englishman Stuart Williams, now living in Pflugerville, Texas, and his PBA Hall of Fame partner, Chris Barnes of Double Oak, Texas, 2-0.
Findling and Maldonado, qualified fourth, earning a first-round bye before defeating twin brothers Anthony and Sean Lavery-Spahr from Pasadena, Texas, 2-0, followed by a 2-1 win over qualifying leaders Paul Henderson from Watauga, Texas, and non-PBA member Marc Heninger of Tonganoxie, Kan., 2-1, in their semifinal round match.
• Will Garber of Modesto, Calif., defeated Jake Peters of Henderson, Nev., 254-225, to win the Vanessa Brown Homes West Open, presented by Track, at Yosemite Lanes in Modesto, Calif., on Sunday.
In the companion PBA50 Vanessa Brown Homes West Open, Ty Dawson of Sunnyvale, Calif., defeated Rick Memeley of Santa Maria, Calif., 225-215, for his fifth PBA50 Regional in addition to a $1,500 first prize.
In addition to the $2,000 first prize, the title was Garber’s second in PBA Regional competition. Garber defeated Taylor Jacobs of Auburn, Calif., 214-184, in the semifinal round while Peters advanced to the title match by defeating Warren Crawford of McKinleyville, Calif., 228-216.
In the PBA50 semifinal round, Dawson eliminated Chris Preble of Clovis, Calif., 191-190, and Memeley defeated Mark Mazzulla of Brentwood, Calif., 215-196.
• Brian Kretzer of Dayton, Ohio defeated Dave Axon of Bellevue, Neb., 200-190, to win the PBA50 Greater Freeport Midwest/Central Open at 4 Seasons Bowling Center in Freeport, Ill., Sunday for his 14th PBA50 Regional title and a $1,400 first prize.
Kretzer blanked tournament host Jeff Johnson, 2-0, while Axon downed Chris Gibbons of Madison, Wis., 2-1, in a best-of-three-game semifinal round to set up the championship match.
• PBA Regional activity continues over the July 12-14 weekend with the PBA50 Cecil Raymond Memorial presented by Track at Brunswick Zone Deptford in Deptford, N.J., and the PBA50 Beverly Lanes Midwest/Central Open presented by MOTIV in Arlington Heights, Ill.
• The July 19-21 PBA Regional calendar includes the Angola Central/Midwest Open presented by Storm at Angola Bowl in Angola, Ind., the Fort Sill Southwest Open presented by MOTIV at Twin Oaks Bowling Center in Fort Sill, Okla., and the Husted Member/Non-Member Doubles at Husted’s Hazel Dell Lanes in Vancouver, Wash.
• The July schedule of PBA Regionals concludes over the July 26-28 weekend with the PBA50 Tower Lanes Summer Classic in Tacoma, Wash.
● For complete PBA Regional schedules, rules and entry information, visit pba.com, open the “schedules” tab and click on PBA Regional Tours to find the event(s) in your area…and remember, you can follow “live scoring” for all PBA Regional events on pba.com (easily accessible for Apple and Android device users using the PBA app).
• Pete McCordic of Katy, Texas, forfeited his eligibility to compete in PBA competition almost 20 years ago when he became PBA Southwest Region manager, but as a proven PBA competitor with two PBA Tour and seven PBA Regional titles to his credit (plus a memorable nationally-televised 300 game in Torrance, Calif., in 1987) prior to accepting his new job, he has pursued his competitive challenges elsewhere. Proving he can still roll the ball with authority, the 65-year-old McCordic won the Super Senior Singles title in the recently-completed Bowlers Journal Championships held in conjunction with the USBC Open Championships in Las Vegas. McCordic won the 60-and-older event with a 717 series, two years after winning the BJ Senior Singles title with an 812 series. For more information about how PBA members fared in the Bowlers Journal Championships as well as the USBC Open Championships, visit https://www.bowl.com/openchamp/.
• Julian Michael Salinas of Richmond, Texas, posted a 42-game total of 9,197 pins, including match play bonus pins, to defeat Bryce Oliver of Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, by 28 pins and Hannah Diem of Seminole, Fla., had a total of 8,653 pins to top Caroline Thesier of Mooresville, N.C., by 27 pins to win the boys’ and girls’ Teen Masters varsity titles Saturday at Sawgrass Lanes in Tamarac, Fla.
• Reminder: Tickets to attend the Barbasol PBA Tour Finals presented by Red Rock Casino, Resort & Spa in Las Vegas are still available. Visit https://www.eventbrite.com/e/barbasol-pba-tour-finals-presented-by-red-rock-casino-resort-spa-tickets-57610119418. Jason Belmonte, Jakob Butturff, Anthony Simonsen, EJ Tackett, Marshall Kent, Bill O’Neill, Andrew Anderson and Kris Prather will compete in the Finals live by CBS Sports Network over a span five shows (two two-hour shows on Saturday, July 20 and two two-hour shows plus the one-hour finale on Sunday, July 21).