PBA Spare Shots: Monacelli Joins Elite Group as Third Two-Time Senior U.S. Open Winner
by bvint | Thursday, June 13, 7:53 AM
In winning his second consecutive PBA Senior U.S. Open title, Venezuela’s Amleto Monacelli joins Tom Baker and Wayne Webb as the third two-time winner of the event. All three are PBA Hall of Famers and all three have won the PBA50 Tour major in back-to-back years.
Baker won the Senior U.S. Open in 2005 and ’06, Webb won in 2008 and ’09 and Monacelli in 2012 and ’13.
● The Suncoast PBA Senior U.S. Open, presented by Storm, featured challenging lane conditions and failed to produce a 300 game. The high game in the tournament was 299, shot by Monacelli in qualifying and Tulsa’s Mike Edwards in match play.
● Among the match play finalists, Monacelli led the field with 218.2 average for the tournament, nearly seven pins more than Walter Ray Williams Jr., who had the second best average of 211.92. Ron Winger was the top super senior in the field, at age 71, making match play and finishing 24th. Robin Romeo was the top woman, finishing among the 53 cashers in 49th place.
AT&T U-VERSE AIRS SPECIAL ON PBA TOURNAMENT OF CHAMPIONS
AT&T U-Verse has produced an intriguing 22-minute special look at the PBA Tournament of Champions, including the inaugural PBA League Elias Cup finals. Use this link to view the program:
PBA REGIONAL ROUNDUP: O’GRADY WINS FIRST PBA EAST REGION TITLE
● Matt O’Grady of South Amboy, N.J. defeated Gary Haines of West Babylon, N.Y., 224-207, to win his first PBA Regional title in the Port Jeff Eastern Open at Port Jeff Bowl in Port Jefferson Station, N.Y., Sunday.
O’Grady, who had a 7-5 match play record, rolled 280 in the position round to move from third into the lead. He then met Haines, the PBA East Region’s leading rookie, in the title match after Haines won both of the preliminary matches. O’Grady, a former Junior Team USA member, earned $2,500 while Haines earned $1,300 as the runner-up.
● Alan Mojado of Pala, Calif., defeated Keith Laing of Los Angeles, 233-209, to win $3,000 and his first Professional Bowlers Association Regional title in the Billy Meyers Sr. West Open at Bowlium Lanes in Montclair, Calif., Sunday.
● With the July 15 qualifying deadline looming to earn points for the PBA’s new Regional Players Invitational program, a number of opportunities remain on the June calendar.
Over the June 14-16 weekend, the PBA East Region will conduct the Bethmann-Russell Eastern Open presented by DV8 at Flamingo Bowl in Liverpool, N.Y.; the Central Region will conduct the J.D. Producing Inc. Central Open presented by Hammer at Triway Lanes in Wooster, Ohio, and the West/Northwest Regions will combine for a big standard/PBA50 dual weekend at 20th Century Lanes in Boise, Idaho.
The June 21-23 schedule includes a pair of “reduced entry fee” one-day American Family Insurance Midwest Open events at Oak Forest Bowl in Oak Forest, Ill.; the PBA South Region will conduct the Reality Check Classic Series South Open and PBA50 Reality Check Classic Series Ichiban Cleaning South Open, both presented by DV8, at Brunswick Harbour Lanes in Melbourne, Fla.; the PBA East will host the Homefield Bowl Eastern Open presented by Hammer in Yonkers, N.Y.; and the PBA West/Northwest Regions will combine for Secoma Lanes PBA50 and standard tournaments in Federal Way, Wash.
Closing the month over the June 28-30 weekend, the PBA East will host the PBA50 Glassboro Eastern Open presented by Columbia 300 at Glassboro Bowl and Recreation Center in New Jersey; the PBA South will conduct the PBA50 High Point Bank South Open at Northside Bowling Center in Winston-Salem, N.C.; the PBA Central and South Regions will co-op the PBA University of Phoenix Central/South Open at Hooper Bowling Center in Fort Campbell, Ky.; the PBA Southwest Region will host a non-champions Astro Super Bowl Southwest Challenge in San Antonio, Texas; and the PBA Midwest will conduct a reduced entry fee Allstate Midwest Open at Landmark Lanes in Peoria, Ill.
For complete PBA regional schedule and entry information, visit pba.com and click on “Regional Tours” under the Schedules tab.
● PBA’s Xtra Frame online bowling channel will be on hand at Sawgrass Lanes in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., July 1-4 to cover the Teen Masters National Finals. The National Finals will qualify players who will advance to the Teen Masters Grand Championship Aug. 6-8 at Grand Central Terminal in New York City.